About this poster
The railway was a symbol of progress in the 19th century, and the opening of the Gotthardbahn in 1882 was accordingly a grand event. The Gotthardbahn was a crucial connector between northern and southern Europe, and passengers experienced the novel mode of travelling at great speed as an exciting adventure. Combining all these associations, the advertisements for the Gotthard Railway from the early 20th century showed breath-taking alpine landscapes alongside exotic scenes on the Mediterranean, Edelweiss and lemon blossoms, and promised adventure, wanderlust and luxury as well as punctuality, reliability and comfort.
- Poster No.: 1213
- Company: Schweizerische Bundesbahnen, SBB CFF FFS, Bern, CH
- Brand:Gotthardbahn - Gotthard Railway
- Printer: Arti Grafiche Chiattone Milano
- Size: 127 x 74 cm / 50 x 29.1″
- Printing technique:Lithograph in colours
Very good condition. Picture preserved. Wrinkles and small tears, if any, restricted to edges. Mounted on acid-free Japanese vellum.
- Publications:Affiches du Chemin de Fer
Manifesti sul Ticino
Touristikplakate der Schweiz - Affiches touristiques de la Suisse - Tourism Posters of Switzerland 1880-1940