About this poster
In the mid-1950s a new era of railway advertising began at the Swiss Federal Railways: the era of cheerful advertisements with humorous graphic designs. This rhyming slogan, “Der Kluge reist im Zuge” (clever people travel by train) became the SBB’s most famous slogan ever. In a simple and clever way, this design with a passenger in an armchair against a timetable background shows us the reason why we should travel by train: it gets us to our destination on time and in comfort.
Artist: Hans Thöni
Hans Thoni studied at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Zürich (School of Applied Arts) and was trained for four years in Paris before settling in Berne. He was an illustrator and a postage stamp, poster and exhibition designer and a founding member of the VSG (Verband Schweizer Grafiker).
Hans Thoni studied at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Zürich (School of Applied Arts) and was trained for four years in Paris before settling in Berne. He was an ...
- Poster No.: 2867
- Company: Schweizerische Bundesbahnen, SBB CFF FFS, Bern, CH
- Brand:SBB - CFF - FFS - Swiss Federal Railways
- Printer: J.C. Müller AG, Zürich
- Size: 128 x 90 cm / 50.4 x 35.4″
- Printing technique:Offset print
Excellent condition. Picture preserved completely.
- Publications:50 Jahre Schweizer Plakate, ausgezeichnet vom Eidg. Dep. des Innern - 50 years Swiss Posters selected by the Federal Department of Home Affairs
Das Schweizer Plakat - L‘affiche suisse - The Swiss Poster
Swiss Posters from Historism to Computer Design - Basel Poster Collection