Josef Müller-Brockmann, born in 1914 and died in 1996 in Switzerland
In 1930, he started a traineeship as a graphic designer which he quit in 1932. In 1934, he started working as a freelance designer and illustrator in Zurich.
In 1936 he opened his graphic design studio, became a professor in 1957 and in 1959 he founded and became the co-editor of „New Graphic Design“ with Richard Paul Lohse, Hans Neuburg and Carlo Vivarelli.
In 1960/1961 he was lecturer at the World Design Conference in Tokyo and Design Schools in Tokyo and Osaka and in 1963 at the Hochschule für Gestaltung in Ulm, Germany.
In 1965, Müller-Brockmann was the founder of a gallery for concrete and constructive art in Rapperswil, Switzerland, In 1967, he opened the advertising agency Müller-Brockmann & Co. in Zurich and became a design consultant for IBM Europe until 1988.
Josef Müller-Brockmann received awards in London, Vienna and Washington DC and the gold medal of the Canton of Zurich for services to cultural institutions in the 1980s. He published several books on graphic design and was a member of AGI.